Rochester can trace its roots back to 1819 when James McCoy built the first cabin. Joseph and James McCoy traded a wagon load of coonskins to Elijah Iles in Springfield for four sacks of salt. This was considered the first economic transaction in Sangamon County. For the next fifty years (1819-1869), Rochester grew and prospered with the addition of more families, established businesses; such as saw mills and flour mills, plus a corn and carding mill with a distillery, and a post office. In 1823, the first school was established and classes were held in a log house. Abraham Lincoln was known to visit Rochester on various occasions. As the town of Rochester continued to develop, it was officially incorporated as a village on February 1, 1869.
WANT TO HELP ROCHESTER HISTORICAL PRESERVATION SOCIETY
As a tax-exempt organization (number E 9941-5216-01) we are always very grateful for any donations and you may review our donation giving brochure for some ideas. In addition to monetary donations we are interested in furniture and smaller miscellaneous items that are of the 1800-1840 eras. Use the PayPal button below for secure donations.